Tuesday 25 March 2014

In the Mist

...along with the kangaroos

This morning dawned perfectly cloudless, but clear skies had cooled things down sufficiently overnight that the paddocks were blanketed in an expansive sheet of mist, even extending to the field which hitherto has always remained clear.

This was an opportunity to get the Phoenix into the mists - I'd wanted to try this before to see if the passage of the plane would leave indicators of wing-tip vortices, which would be really cool.



The reason the Radjet doesn't get a mention is that it's still on the desk awaiting repairs following yesterday's crash from a low banking sweep being a little lower than I anticipated. I spent some time compiling a video of launch crashes so didn't get around to fixing the Radjet , but that will be sorted tonight.

Anyway, my aspirations for engaging in tip flow visualisation were stymied by the appearance of kangaroos inside the field. I don't like to scare them as they may get tangled in the fence trying to get into the paddock, so I waited for them to make their way out.

Unfortunately by this time the light mist across the field had dissipated with the approaching dawn so, in between looping and spinning at full power, I turned my attention to sending the Phoenix on sorties skimming low above the tips of the reedy paddock grass, shrouded in the mist...

No comments:

Post a Comment