Saturday 8 March 2014

Phoenix 1600 Ballast Removal

...hoping it should improve climbing performance

Whilst stripping down the interior of the Phoenix 1600 in order to swap the motor, I noticed that the Phoenix 1600 now has ballast added into the front of the battery tray.





The Phoenix 2000 didn't have this feature, unfortunately, as this would have avoided the initial crashes I experienced due to the glider going into steep climb which invariably ended with me panicking and cutting power, followed by the glider burrowing it's spinner into the turf.

Now, however, I know better and I fly these with a larger 2200mAh battery, whose extra mass takes care of the light nose. 

While the  Phoenix flies well as it is, I think I could do without the additional mass, the ballast plug weighing in at 41g. I've removed it and will give it a test fly in the next couple of days. If necessary I can adjust the battery position to provide additional compensation, but I think it should work well...

No comments:

Post a Comment